Services from Queen’s Legal Aid
Queen’s Legal Aid provides full advice and representation for individuals who qualify for our services. We are not a legal information service, and cannot answer questions about a legal problem unless you first attend an intake interview.
To qualify for our services, you must:
- fit within Legal Aid Ontario’s financial guidelines or be a full-time Queen’s University student who has paid the Queen’s Legal Aid student interest fee for the current academic year;
- live in Kingston, South Frontenac Township, or the County of Lennox & Addington, including the City of Greater Napanee;
- have a legal problem within one of the areas of law we practice, and;
- have a legal dispute that can be heard in a court or tribunal in Kingston or Napanee.
You can arrange an intake interview by:
- emailing us the completed application form OR
- phoning us at 613-533-2102.
In both cases, the date and time of your intake interview will not be confirmed until you have emailed us a copy of one piece of photo ID and proof of your income (proof of income is not required for Queen’s students).
Intake interviews are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis, and Queen’s Legal Aid cannot schedule an earlier interview for you, even on an urgent basis.
In order for Queen’s Legal Aid to comply with our requirements to verify your identity, all intake interviews after January 1, 2024 must be held in-person at our location at Queen’s Law Clinics, 303 Bagot Street, Suite 500, in LaSalle Mews.
We are not able to book intake interviews in April through mid-May, from mid-August through September and in December to mid-January.
We cannot give you legal advice during an intake interview.
Attending your intake interview:
It is important that you attend for your interview, as scheduled, and on time. If you no longer need our help and want to cancel your interview, please call us to tell us this as soon as possible.
If you are unable to attend for your interview at the scheduled time, the student who is scheduled to conduct your interview will not contact you, and cannot reschedule your interview. If you wish to reschedule your interview, you will need to contact us at 613-533-2102 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Your interview will be rescheduled for our next available appointment, which may be several weeks away.
Clients who repeatedly fail to attend for scheduled intake appointment without cancelling the appointment in advance may be denied the ability to book another intake appointment with us.