We assist tenants in rental housing with free legal services in a broad range of legal issues including:

  • Disputes about the amount of rent
  • Illegal charges
  • Harassment by your landlord
  • Bad faith evictions after you have moved out (personal use evictions or “renovictions”)
  • Landlord’s claims for damage you caused to your apartment
  • Serious repair and maintenance issues that your landlord has refused to address
  • Discrimination in housing

 We can assist tenants in raising concerns, negotiating with the landlord and in applications before the Landlord & Tenant Board and the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario.

We will investigate your complaints and research the relevant law and then send you our legal opinion about your options to address the concerns you have.  If appropriate, we will take action on your behalf before the Landlord & Tenant Board, Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, or the Small Claims Court.

We do not provide legal assistance to landlords.

We do not assist with:

  • Co-operative housing disputes
  • Disputes with condominium boards
  • Rent-geared-to income subsidy issues, including subsidy overpayment determinations, income and asset reviews,
  • Social housing transfer requests; and
  • Harassment or interference by a neighbour or other tenant

If you are facing an eviction or the threat of an eviction please contact the Kingston Community Legal Clinic, unless you are a current full-time Queen’s Student who does not qualify for services from KCLC.